Gerard Pique has announced his retirement 

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has announced that he will retire from football this month during the Spanish league's break for the World Cup. 

Pique has announced that Saturday's La Liga game against Almeria will be his last. 

Following this game, Barca will travel to Osasuna for their final game before the World Cup in Qatar next week. 

Pique’s grandfather was on the Barcelona board and Pique joined the club’s academy in 1997 before moving to Man United in 2004. 

After four years in Manchester, which included a return to Spain on a season-long loan with Real Zaragoza. 

Pique returned to Barca in 2008 after making 23 first-team appearances for the English side. 

Pique was part of the side that won the treble in the 2008-09 season under Pep Guardiola.

In his nine-year career, he was part of the 2010 World Cup and 2012 European Championship winners. 

Pique was singled out for criticism after the 3-3 draw against Inter Milan last month. 

Barca told Pique in the summer that minutes would be hard to come by this season as they either moved on or looked to reduce the salaries of some veteran players 

“Football has given me everything,” Pique said in a video message. You fans have given me everything. And now my childhood dreams have come true.

“I want to say that I’ve decided that now is the time to end this journey.”

He had previously said he planned to run for Burcha president after he retires. 

Though in recent years he has suggested that, while that remains an option, it’s not something he would definitely pursue.